#2.  At least one cannon would have to be positioned behind each of the ten angles of the fort wall for all around covering fire in the direction of the many back roads to the south of the fort.

At first, the 9th Michigan Infantry manned their own cannons.  By March of 1862, Captain Charles H. Lamphere's Battery G, 1st Michigan Light Artillery had arrived to garrison the fort.  The most common cannon, used at the fort, was the six pound smooth bore.




Page updated: 3 Jul 2020


Back